The main objectives of this programme is to educate children about their immediate environment and impart knowledge about the eco-systems, their inter-dependence and their need for survival, through visits and demonstrations and to mobilise youngsters by instilling in them the spirit of scientific inquiry into environmental problems and involving them in the efforts of environmental preservation. In Tamil Nadu National Green Corps has been launched in
8000 schools located in 32 districts at 250 schools per district.
objectives of NGC are
- To make children understand environment and environmental problems
- To provide environmental education opportunities for school children
- To utilize the unique position of school children as conduits for awareness of the society at large
- To facilitate children’s participation in decision making in areas related to environment and development
- To bring children into direct contact with the environmental problems facing the society they live in and make them think of solutions
- To involve children in action based
programmes related to environment in their surroundings.